The average American is richer than more than 90 percent of the world’s population. Shocking, isn’t it? Because of this, wouldn’t the right thing to do be sharing our prosperity with our brethren? Peter Singer, a professor of bioethics, calls attention to the need of food and medicine in many parts of the world in his article “The Singer Solution to World Poverty”. He claims the formula to ending poverty is simple; “whatever money you’re spending on luxuries, not necessities, should be given away.
While it may sound morally right to give up our selfish ways and give to the less fortunate, Singer’s solution isn’t very realistic as he disregards many key factors. Some may even call his solution naive. Although I grant that donating large portions of our income overseas would be considered morally right, I still maintain that such donations would destroy our economy and make those countries dependent on donations. Some may argue that it is morally right to give up luxuries to help others. In Proverbs, one can summarize part of chapter 3 to that one must “help thy neighbor”.
Also in the Bible, it states “he who resists temptation shall receive the crown of life”. Religious affiliation aside, giving to others as a selfless act is always commendable. That idea granted, isn’t the complete denial to one’s wants dehumanizing? The majority of the earth lives with only necessities: the plants and animals. Necessities are the things we need for survival, so food, water, and a place to live are all we can have for Singer’s solution. In a discussion about what constitutes the self in my English class, many have concluded that the things one associates oneself with determine who one is.
Without any luxuries, who are we? Our natural instinct is to want things we don’t need. The universal understanding of economics is that scarcity will always persist as there are unlimited wants but limited resources. While donating money to the less fortunate is morally good, it is morally bad to have humans give up everything except necessities. More importantly, however, donating all luxury money to overseas aid organizations will just create third world dependency on donation money. Throwing all this money at a problem will not solve it if it is not used in the most resourceful way.
Oversea aid organizations simply feed and clothe the poor. Bill Gates, one of the wealthiest people in the world, along with other billionaires has donated large amounts of money and there has been no large change in poverty, as the money was used on disposables, food and clothing. They are not our children, and if we insist on treating them so, we must prepare them to live on their own. In the documentary “Pennies A Day”, the Grameen Bank gives loans known as microcredit to poor rural families that usually live of a dollar a day in the Middle East.
Muhammad Yunus, the inventor of microcredit, saw that in first world countries that large loans were approved to people who already have a lot of money. He questions why one needs so much anyways and invented smaller loans, about $25, and also provided cell phones for the people his bank was helping. Middle Eastern women were usually the recipients of such loans, and they used them wisely, establishing either a small farm at their home or even their own small business that would allow them to fend for themselves.
As a Chinese proverb says “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for the rest of his life. ” Giving large amounts of money to aid programs overseas would create dependency, considering that Singer referred to organizations such as UNICEF and Oxfam America that just give clothing and food to the poor. More significantly, giving all money ordinarily spent on luxuries would destroy the American economy. Singer does not seem to be aware of why Americans are richer than most of the world.
America has a capitalist, free market, economy which is prosperous due to American consumerism. If people were to suddenly stop buying luxuries, there would be an excess supply with little demand, lowering prices, and ultimately causing businesses to go bankrupt or out of commission, laying off workers either way. This happened after a period of economic prosperity, the Roaring Twenties, being a major component of the Great Depression. How can we help others if we are suffering as well? It is also evident that the free market system is the best for overall economic prosperity.
American businesses partake in Special Economic Zones in Asia, particularly China, in which the communist economic system is replaced with the free market system and now China is rising economically from the poverty that prevailed with communism. Without consumerism, we might as well get aid from other countries. Giving all money spent on . luxuries would be extremely detrimental to our economy. In a perfect world, no one is starving and sick. Unfortunately we live in the real world, and Singer’s solution to poverty fails to acknowledge that.
Donating all money not used on necessities is unnecessary and will result in more cons than pros. The pro of ending poverty in third world countries would prove to just be temporary, as our economy will begin to fall, and we will not even have money to provide to overseas countries. Singer seems to disregard many key factors of the economy and how one should really help people in his solution. Donating money to aid the less fortunate is not a bad action, but there are many better ways to do it without taking almost everything away from us that are fortunate.
English language classes usually require a lot of writing. When you're a middle school student, you don't feel the pressure. But high school and college students are assigned complex topics. They are rarely free to choose their own idea, so it makes the situation even more complicated. An argumentative essay should be based on three major set of skills of any good student:
- Research skills
- Writing skills
- Analytical skills
If one of these is your weak point, you would probably need online academic writing assistance. Anyway, you should try writing a persuasive paper on one of the chosen topics on your own. This is a good practice for your communication and research skills. Argumentative essays are assigned to train your debating abilities. This assignment has a great influence on how a student will perform or give a public speech later.
HOW TO SELECT DEBATABLE ARGUMENTATIVE TOPICS TO DISCUSS
You might think that it's better when your teacher assigns a particular argumentative topic to you. Having a right to develop your own idea is always better. When working on the persuasive essay, a student has to collect all valuable and time-tested sources to prove his knowledge of the certain issue. You may be encouraged to use such primary sources as:
- Academic journals
- Scientific magazines
- Official reports
Even if you are an expert in a certain field, don't hesitate to use and cite external sources. It will point to your ability to collect and select only the most relevant sources. Besides, direct and indirect quotes are needed to support your knowledge of academic writing style. If you are not sure in your writing skills, turn to professional writing agency to buy a winning argumentative essay on a variety of topics for cheap.
GET YOUR PERFECT ESSAY NOW
BEST ARGUMENTATIVE PAPER TOPICS
Easy argumentative essay topics
- Education should be free for everyone
- Why are the US citizens rapidly becoming more obese?
- Internet access must be limited to students
- Young people must have a right to choose when it comes to military
- Each student must have a right to pick only those disciplines he is interested in
- What are the advantages US educational system offers to international students?
- Which secondary languages are worth studying today?
- Is education too commercialised nowadays?
- Is current academic grading helpful in performance?
- Are tests like SAT and ACT effective?
- Advantages and disadvantages of MBA program.
Sports argumentative essay topics
- What can be done to assist teenagers in maintaining a healthy weight?
- Physical education in the school system.
- Does participation in NCAA negatively influence the academic performance?
- What is the top unbreakable record in sport?
- Is Michael Jordan still a basketball star?
Argumentative essay topics for middle school
- What is the real relationship between food, fitness, and weight?
- What are the negative effects of diets?
- Society should fight with anorexia
- To regulate health issues, people should think about their sleep more
- Is golf still demanded?
- Steroid takers must be banned from team sports activities.
- Is swimming really the best type of sport?
- Hockey and other dangerous sports.
Argumentative essay topics for college
- Production and sales of tobacco must be made illegal
- Death sentence should be activated in every country of the world
- Smoking in public places has to be banned
- Alcohol usage should be controlled
- They should not sell alcohol beverages after 11 P.M.
- Energetic drinks should be banned and made illegal
- Should court proceedings be documented for television?
- The most suitable age to have a right to vote.
- When can citizens start drinking and smoking (specific age)?
- On the whole, is there justice for all?
- Was the Industrial Revolution a Europe-wide phenomenon in the nineteenth century?
Classical argument topics
- It should be forbidden to use species of animals for research purposes and cruel experiments
- Should rainforests destructions be punished?
- To what extent are electric vehicles a solution to global pollution?
- Pros and cons of globalisation.
- Was Roosevelt right about building a Panama Canal?
- Are you on the side of King-Kong or militaries who interrupted his world to study it using violent measures?
- The risks the United States may face in terms of rapidly changing climate conditions.
- Earthquakes and their consequences.
- Tsunami: the death wave.
- Beautiful forests of Amazonia.
- Which species should be included in the Red Book (Liber Novus)?
- How can students add up to the social movement for nature's safety?
Controversial argumentative essay topics
- Third World War should be Prevented by Russian and US Governments
- Existing public school policies must be changed
- Is gun control an effective way to control the crime?
- Government should forbid same-sex marriages
- Society is turning over-regulated
- The countries with the highest levels of corruption.
- Are some political authorities engaged in illegal activities in the US?
- Should people with physical disabilities be accepted by the government?
- To be a politician: art or a born talent.
- Can anyone be above the law?
- Pros and cons of Monarchy.
- Is CIS a better alternative for the USSR?
Argumentative essay on technology
- Violent video games should be prohibited
- Does technology make people feel alone?
- YouTube Owners Should Check and Fix Comments That Involve Filthy Language
- Are people becoming technological zombies?
- Will humanity reach the time when there will be no more technological advancement?
- Influences of mobile phones: pros and cons
- Technology and education
Argumentative essay on social media
- Is technology limiting creativity?
- The role of communications in social networks for modern education.
- Are contemporary people too much reliant on technology?
- Are online friends more effective than imaginary?
- Is censorship of Internet necessary?
6th-grade argumentative essay topics
- First aid and medical help, in general, should become free
- People are good at heart (download and use an example now)
- People must spend less time on official work without any effect on their salaries
- Social movements must be financed by governments
- Parents have no right to control the lives of their children above 16
- Cloning must be banned
- Global warming (Just download the sample you need for free!)
- Are abortions legal?
- Cross-cultural marriages add up to racial tolerance
- Is it OK to date a younger male?
- What us incest?
- What should be the role of partners in relationship and family?
- Is online dating safe and productive?
- Will people start marrying their computers soon?
Funny argument topics
- Would Batman be in law in a real world?
- 2D vs. 3D vs. 4D: What's Next?
- Can the chip control the human mind like they do in superhero movies?
- Does Griffins Family correspond to the typical American family?
- Graffiti is an illegal art. How should it be punished?
- Marijuana should be legal.
- Should parents be soft on their children?
Art, Music & Movie Ideas for Papers
- Does art pay?
- Can music and cinematography be called an art too?
- Is gothic art the most preferred and magnificent in history of mankind?
- Can you succeed in life working in the field of art?
- Are today's music tracks educational or meaningful at all?
- Is modern lyrics too explicit for a young audience?
- There is no plot in the majority of up-to-date movies.
- How long should a motion picture last?
DOWNLOAD MORE ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY SAMPLES
VALUABLE TIPS & SIGNS OF THE GREAT TOPIC IDEAS
If you wish everyone to read your piece with the bated breath, try to:
- Pick a topic that everyone is currently discussing. Pay attention to the rumours.
- Select a question an answer to which is still unknown to many people.
- Choose an audience that does not agree with your point.
- Decide on the problem on which everyone has a specific point of view.
- Choose an issue based on your own interests, but don't go too far!
Here we have shared some of the most effective tips:
- No obvious argumentative paper topics!
- Do not stop on those topics that do not arise any arguments. Topics that state scientific facts proved by centuries do not work.
- A debatable essay must focus on the critical issue which leads to the global conflicts.
- Almost every second problem related to politics is a good choice. You may also write something about your school, college or university policies that annoy you or make students argue with their teachers and principals.
- Skip topics that people tend to agree on.
- At the same time, it is better to pass by argumentative essay topics connected with religion, gender, race, and other sensitive episodes of human life. Otherwise, your subjective opinion may be graded subjectively.
- It is better to write your essay following APA style. You may read how to format academic papers in APA here.
Remember: the world is not black-and-white. There are always two sides of the coin. So, even if you're pretty sure in your claim, and the majority of people tend to support it, consider the arguments of the opposing side. Only then your argumentative paper will be graded respectively high.
As you can see, the procedure is everywhere the same. But the idea is to choose the most exciting argumentative paper topics in order to impress both your audience and your teacher. It's like a competition, where the highest grade is your prize. Whenever you need immediate help with your assignment, turn to the professional writing service which can compose an argumentative essay on any topics in several hours.
A FEW WORDS ABOUT STRUCTURE
Just like any other academic paper, argumentative essay requires such steps as:
- In-depth research
- Gathering of information
- Picking the most credible and up-to-date sources
- Writing a draft
- Writing compare and contrast essay itself
- Revising (at least twice)
Speaking about the organisation and structure of the argumentative essay, we offer a five-paragraph paper outline. Let your original ideas flow in this manner:
A conclusion is, no doubt, the most important part of the argumentative essay as you can either support the good impression or destroy it entirely. If you want to avoid typical mistakes, find valuable recommendations in this article.
It all seems easy: just select, draft, write and revise. You may keep your argumentative essays for your future job portfolio in case they are highly graded. We recommend fixing them a bit once your teacher returns the checked version to you. The next time, the process would seem much easier to you.
If you have no desire to waste time on selecting the best topic and writing the whole argumentative essay from scratch, don't forget that you have a loyal team of professionals by your side. We are always ready to help for affordable prices - just contact us in the case of any questions or need for additional information. Expand your horizons by ordering an outstanding argumentative paper from expert US writers!
GRAB YOUR "A" ESSAY HERE!
Require academic assistance? – Get it right here and right now!