Creating a cover letter may seem daunting if you’ve never written one before, but that doesn’t mean you can’t craft a strong one. A professional cover letter can make you more appealing to a hiring manager and is even required by some companies. Let our software engineer cover letter example and the provided do’s and don’ts inspire you to write your own excellent cover letter.
- Do emphasize your past accomplishments and any improvements you’ve made in your previous jobs. Since technology companies are focused on making advances, this can show you are capable of delivering those results.
- Don’t use words that are too vague or broad. Saying things like, I have excellent computer skills” is not specific enough to excite a hiring manager.
- Do back up your accomplishments with numbers when possible. Managers in the technology industry can sometimes relate better to empirical data than words.
- Don’t be too unconventional when formatting your cover letter in an attempt to get noticed. A hiring manager for a sizable technology company may be less inclined to take you seriously if your cover letter is unprofessional.
Software Engineer Advice
To get hired as a software engineer, you’ll need an understanding of software and systems, plenty of experience and technical knowledge, and a cover letter that shows why you’re highly qualified and the right fit for the job. We’ve crated the software engineer cover letters you see below specifically to help you build your own job-winning cover letter more quickly. Simply pick any of the cover letter examples below to get started.
Cover Letter Tips for Software Engineer
Finding jobs as a Software Engineer is no small task, but it is one that can be made much easier with the help of some simple tips. It is a good idea to stick with these simple rules when job hunting in the new economy.
1. Don’t tackle your job search without a plan in place for how you will proceed, and to what end. It is important to know where you are going and what steps you plan on taking to get there.
2. Use the time you have between jobs to determine what kind of long-term career you are really looking for, and whether it is in your current field or perhaps in a different industry or even occupation.
3. Make social media benefit you by cleaning up and professionalizing any personal profiles you have, posting your cover letter online and sharing news of your job search with others via the internet.
4. Ace the interview by not only being prepared with questions for the hiring manager, but also being prepared to prove your worthiness as a candidate that can either save or make the company in time or resources.
5. Look no further than your local career center or job seeker’s support group to find resources that will be invaluable to your search, such as local listings, skills assessment tests and more.
Software Engineer Job Seeking Tips
Armed and ready with the right cover letter, you’re sure to be a hero among those searching for jobs as a Software Engineer. Follow these tips to make your cover letter relevant, attractive and appealing to those who may read it.
1. Kick your cover letter up a notch by adding in industry-relevant keywords and a branding statement at the top that quickly pitches what you do best to the reader.
2. Shape up the appearance of your cover letter by making sure the white space isn’t dominated by text, using no more than two fonts, using bold and italics sparingly to make a point and employing bullet points throughout.
3. Pay attention to the order that the sections of your cover letter are in. Ideally, they should be in order from most interesting to least interesting, according to the reader’s point of view.
4. Beyond educational and professional experiences, feel free to include information on your cover letter such as certifications, licenses, special awards, an accomplishments summary, travel and languages.
5. Don’t make the mistake of submitting your cover letter without it being edited for typos or omissions of information. In addition, make sure never to lie on a cover letter.
Sample cover letter for a software engineer
If writing a software developer cover letter seems harder than hammering out lines of code, here's a prototype to go by.
Use these tips to write a software engineer cover letter.
If writing a great cover letter for software engineer jobs seems harder than hammering out lines of code, it can help to have a prototype for a software developer cover letter to go by. View our sample cover letter for a software engineer below.
And if you need additional writing tips, the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter for jobs in software engineering.
15 Applegate Way
Sometown, PA 19000
March 21, 2017
VP Technical Services
1224 Main St.
Anytown, PA 55555
Dear Ms. Smith:
Are you searching for a software engineer with a proven ability to develop high-performance applications and technical innovations? If so, please consider my enclosed resume.
Since 2010, I have served as a software engineer for Action Company, where I have been repeatedly recognized for developing innovative solutions for multimillion-dollar, globally deployed software and systems. I am responsible for full lifecycle development of next-generation software, from initial requirement gathering to design, coding, testing, documentation and implementation.
Known for excellent client-facing skills, I have participated in proposals and presentations that have landed six-figure contracts. I also excel in merging business and user needs into high-quality, cost-effective design solutions while keeping within budgetary constraints.
My technical expertise includes cross-platform proficiency (Windows, Unix, Linux and VxWorks); fluency in 13 scripting/programming languages (including C, C++, VB, Java, Perl and SQL); and advanced knowledge of developer applications, tools, methodologies and best practices (including OOD, client/server architecture and self-test automation).
My experience developing user-friendly solutions on time and on budget would enable me to step into a software engineering role at XYZ Company and hit the ground running. I will follow up with you next week, and you may reach me at (215) 555-5555. I look forward to speaking with you.
Looking for the best jobs in software engineering, but could use a hand? Join Monster today. You can get job alerts sent directly to your inbox to make your search faster and easier.