Are you independent, persuasive, and passionate? If so, you may be the perfect candidate for a sales associate job. Start by creating a resume that highlights these qualities and others to secure a new position. Your past sales-related work experience should be front and center, using numbers wherever possible to showcase your successes. To stand out from the crowd, outline your soft skills, such as strong written and verbal communication, leadership and efficiency. Need more inspiration for writing a great sales resume? Check out our sales associate resume example for additional tips and ideas.
Sales Associate Advice
Got what it takes to be a sales associate? The next step is an attention-getting resume. If you’re looking for the right place to start, look no further than the resume examples below. Specifically crafted for folks looking for sales associate positions, these resume examples feature language that employers are most likely to be looking for. Just click on any of the resume examples below, and then customize your resume to fit your needs.
Resume Tips for Sales Associate
Hunting for jobs as a sales associate may seem like a daunting task, but a little knowhow can greatly simplify the process. Follow the tips below when embarking on your successful job search.
1. Write down your job search schedule. By making a clear plan for how you’ll spend your time job searching, you can keep yourself motivated and avoid getting bogged down in minor details.
2. Sign up on a job bank. Along with general web searches, online job banks and job boards can be a useful research tool for finding what skills employers are looking for.
3. Keep up your networking. The people you know can be as important to a job search as the places you look. Polish your elevator pitch to introduce yourself succinctly to people in the field.
4. Join a local job club. Meeting up with people also on the hunt for employment can give you both support and ideas for other areas and methods of searching.
5. Practice your interviews. Job hunts don’t end with the application. To keep your interview abilities sharp, try running practice sessions with trusted acquaintances or members of your job club.
Sales Associate Job Seeking Tips
When applying for jobs as a sales associate, you need a resume to present yourself. Sticking to these key principles will make for a professional resume sure to impress employers in any field.
1. Keep it succinct. Don’t be overly concerned with staying on a single page if you have substantial work experience or other achievements to mention. But don’t go over two pages to make sure everything gets read.
2. Don’t justify your text. While justified paragraphs can look neater at first glance, they can space words strangely, making them harder to read. Most items on your resume should be in list format anyway, not paragraphs.
3. Quantify your accomplishments. Whenever possible, support your descriptions with hard numbers and statistics, such as total sales made or number of team members managed.
4. Emphasize relevant skills. Conversely, don’t mention skills that aren’t part of your current career path. For example, if you’re not looking for data entry work, don’t include your speed entering numbers.
5. Include locations for all previous positions. Though full addresses are unnecessary, listing the city and state for all past employers makes it simpler to review and confirm your employment history.
This CV template gives you an idea of how to lay out your skills and experience if you're applying for a role as a Retail Sales Assistant. You'll also see examples of the qualifications and achievements employers are looking for.
Download as a Word document here
With increased competition in every market, tailoring your CV to a certain industry can be extremely helpful. Tailoring it even further, right down to a job role can be just the push your credentials need to land on the top of the pile.
Is your resume working for you? Consider these options or see below for more resume templates.Watch our career advice videos
Follow job feeds for your industry
Read more Career Advice, use our Resume Builder or Upload Your Resume so employers can find you.